Monday, August 11, 2014

One week.

It's been one week.

One week of 6 am alarms jolting me out of a deep sleep.

One week of waking up Bjorn because, for the first time in two years, he is actually sleeping past 6.

One week of making lunches the night before, checking folders when he comes home and wondering if he should join soccer or Spanish or Chess Club (all of which he said he is interested in).

Yes, school has begun.



Already.


My little Buckwheat. He HAD to have spiky hair



I didn't cry. He didn't cry. The Hubs didn't cry. Peanut....well, Peanut wailed a little when she realized she couldn't go with him, and stopped when she realized she had me all to herself for the day.

Around lunch time she did begin to whine that Bjorn was "Taking for-EVER" to come home from school. I agreed. That first day was looooong.

But he came home with a smile on his face, and, instead of taking a much-needed nap after 7 hours at school, asked if we could all go bowling. When I said no, he asked if we could go swimming. Or maybe go to the zoo.

My hopes that school would wear him out were quickly dashed.

Kindergarten isn't all that it is cracked up to be, according to Bjorn. Much to his dismay, they "don't even get to watch any movies!" and they "Don't get to go outside for recess". That is only because it is still 116 degrees outside, so recess is spent inside the classroom. I think he will enjoy it much more when they can actually head outside.

So far, his favorite parts of school are "music, art and gym". He says the rest of school is "boring". Ha. You think kindergarten is boring, wait until you get to the big grades, kid!

I had hopes that he would make a best friend on the first day, and that Mom would call me, and we would get together for the kids to play, and we would wind up best friends too. That stuff happens, right? Right?!  Not for us. Not yet, at least. It has only been one week.

As much as I tried to not go to work this week, airplanes are still flying and people still need help buckling their seat belt, so off I went. The first day I worried the entire day how Bjorn would do at Extended Day, an after care program that lasts for 3 hours. That would put him at school for 10 1/2-11 hours. A long day for anyone, but especially for a brand new kindergartener.

He told The Hubs that it was "the best day of school"!. Why? In extended day, they rotate through different activities, including computer lab, gym games and music. He was in heaven. I guess I underestimated my little man. He was ready, willing and able.

Now I just have to be. Ready to let my kid make his own mistakes and accomplishments away from me at school. Willing to help in any way that I can. Able to be the Mom he needs for me to be.

So I signed up the PTSA. Ready, willing and able to make this the start of the best years of the rest of his life. Happy Kindergarten year, Bjorn. It's going to be a great one.


No comments: