Sunday, June 1, 2014

4 year old questions about God

We have most of our important conversations in the car.
It was 8:30 in the morning and I was on my second cup of coffee as I drove them to daycare.

"Mom?" Bjorn asked. "Who made God?"

I struggled. How do I explain the omnipresence of God to a 4 year old? Especially to a boy trying to put labels on things, organize ideas into the little compartments his mind understands.

"Who made God? Well....God has always just been. He has always been here, and always will be here. He made the planets and the animals and everything around us."

"Did he make the trees?"

"Yes, he did."

"Did he make the lions?" "Yes." "The elephants?" "Yes." "The fish?" "Yes." "Did he make all the dogs?"

"Yes, Bjorn, he made all the lions and the elephants, and the fish and all the dogs. He made all the animals."

"Is God here on Earth?"

"Yes. He is in heaven-"

"With all the angels."

"Yes, Bjorn. With all the angels. But He is also here on Earth with us."

"Is he in that bird?"

"Yes, God is in every animal. He is all around us."

"Is he in that tree?"

"Yes, Bjorn. God is in all the world that He made for us. But most of all - He's in you. He is in every kind thing you do and every nice word you say. He is in your heart."

"Me too!" piped up Peanut. "He's in my heart, too!"

I nodded. "Yes, He most definitely is in your heart, too, Peanut."

Bjorn changed subjects abruptly, as kids are prone to do.

"At night, Mommy, I try to keep my eyes open."

"You do, Bjorn?" I asked. "Why?"

"So I can see all the angels when they come in to kiss me."

I looked in my rearview mirror. He was looking at his arm, at all the little freckles and imperfections on his perfect little arm. The angel kisses, I've always called them.

"Well, Bjorn. Angels like to come in and kiss quiet, sleeping little kids, not awake kids. They can be pretty sneaky, too."

"I know," he said, shaking his head. "Sneaky little guys."






No comments: