Thursday, October 3, 2013

Something so Big Kid about that

I feel like I'm behind on most of the "typical" Mom things. Namely, my son is 4, and not in preschool yet, and I forgot to enroll him in baseball before the season began. I normally get around to doing things about three weeks after I should. Procrastination at its best.

I want him in preschool, I really do. But finding one that works with our schedule is hard. See, we need full time daycare/preschool because I work three days a week. But my work days vary between weeks, so I need care that will let the kids come three different days each week. And, no, I don't want to put my kids in all FIVE days, just three. I'm selfish and want those other two weekdays with them. Most places told me, "Sure! You can bring them only three days - BUT you have to pay for the other two days in order to guarantee them a spot." Uh uh.

I also wanted a place where both kids could go. They are the best of friends (Peanut routinely tells Bjorn "You my bestest fwiend EVAH, Yah-Yah!") and I want to hold onto it as long as possible.

Sadly, most preschool daycare's are only for 3 and up, so those were out. Also, the cost of some were ridiculous! $1200 for ONE kid? $2000 for two? I think they might have been teaching the kids Chinese and gluten-free baking and how to start their own business, but, seriously? I could send my kid to private Catholic school for that price!

Except that the private Catholic school around here has a school day that ends at 3 pm and no after care. Oh, and they are also only 3 and up.

My options got slimmer and slimmer, and ever since his two daycare buddies went off to kindergarten, Bjorn has begun begging for school more and more.

So I finally found one. At my gym, of all places. 

It's reasonably priced. They are flexible with my days. They won't take Peanut, but that is OK. I'm using this preschool in addition to daycare, not in place of it. Peanut and I have our girl time, and Bjorn goes to school.

I didn't think the first day would be difficult - I had been sending him to daycare since he was 7 months old.  But it was. There is something so Big Kid about letting your child walk into a schoolroom (even if that school room is actually a squash court and that reading nook is just a beanbag chair thrown in the corner). There is something so Big Kid about him walking away from you, sitting in a circle with 11 other boys and girls and watching him watch the teacher.

Don't even get me started on when the day is over, and he walks out the door with a folder under his arm, asking if we can go home right now because he has homework to do.

He went to preschool on Monday, and every night since he has sat at the kitchen table and asked to do his homework. He gets out his colored pencils, opens his folders and says, "OK, Mom. What are we going to do first?"

Every night we practice his "i's" and his "9's" and all the I sounds, and we write in his reading log, and when we are done, he puts it all in his little folder and places it next to his bed for safekeeping.

I thought Peanut would be upset, seeing her "Best friend EVER" walk away from her to go to school, but she waved goodbye to him happily, grabbed my hand and walked away so we could do our thing together, her and I. I, on the other hand, can't believe I have a comfortable, strong, capable son in Preschool.

There is something so Big Kid about that.


2 comments:

Baby Mama said...

I love sitting at the table wanting to do homework! So sweet!

Daniela Escobar said...

such a sweet post! Thank you for sharing. You are one lucky mamma

Daniela
www.aznannies.com