Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Happy Belated Birthday!

Remember that time both of my kids had birthday parties and I forgot to tell you all about it?

Yeah.....I kind of got caught up with work and, well....life, and forgot to post. But never fear, I'm here now! And because it was so long ago, and I still don't have enough time to tell everything, you'll get the condensed, highlighted version. Lucky you.

Bjorn turned 4 early June and because it was so hot here in AZ already, and our house does not accommodate multiple screaming 4 year olds and their families very well, we chose to have the party at Chuck E Cheese. That also meant I didn't have to clean before or after, or prepare food. Score.

But being the over-achiever that I am, I couldn't just have the party at CEC and be done with it. No, I had to have a theme, and thus had to create aforementioned-themed-party-favors. Sigh. I don't why I do this to myself. As The Hubs said to me while I was stuffing one more ninja sticker and tattoo into a take-out box with custom printed Ninjago eyes on it, "Can't his theme just be "Happy Birthday?!"

(And, no, in case you were wondering, it can't. Don't ask me why. But it can't. And The Hubs did wind up helping me make his idea for Ninjago themed favors - Ninja Headbands.)

We ordered a cake from Sams Club, but they wouldn't make him a custom Ninjago figure on it. How hard could that be? I could totally make that, right?!

We picked up the cake the day of Bjorn's party and went to work creating a Ninja. Bjorn wanted to help, of course, and I needed black eyes for the ninja, so I put a bowl of white frosting in front of him, put some drops of food coloring in it, handed him a spoon and told him to stir the frosting.

"But I don't know how." he said.

"What?!" I replied. "Of course you know how! Take the spoon and just stir!"

I walked across the kitchen to grab more frosting and when I turned back to him at the table, I saw this.


He stirred the cake!
Because sometimes, no matter how specific you are being with a 4 year old, you really just have to remember that they are really just 4. It was a good reminder for me that perfection is not what matters here; what matters is that my boy is happy, safe and healthy. Although for a split second I was very upset (all this effort! his big cake ruined!), it passed quickly. He's 4. He was helping. He loved helping, he loved his cake and he loved that he was a part of each and every bit of his party. (He also wound up loving that a "ninja punched his cake" as The Hubs said.)

Bjorn and two of his buds. He wouldn't leave the air hockey table!

Devoured the punched ninja cake!

Chuck E Cheese was a huge hit, and I'm glad we had the party there, because there were 30+ people there. Ridiculous, I know, but I wanted all my friends from my MOMS club, and the kids Bjorn has grown up with from there, and he wanted all his friends from daycare. And they all came, because, let's face it, Chuck E Cheese rocks.

Except they don't serve beer. I might just boycott them for that. What kind of place can expect me to have 30+ people for a 4 year old's birthday with skeeball and games and a giant dancing rat and not expect me to have a beer? Seriously.

Her shirt says "I Love my Bro". Because she does.

4 whole candles this year!
It was a wonderful, Ninjago filled day.

Chuck E Photo Bomb!
**Peanut's birthday update still to come!**

1 comment:

matt said...

I hear requests for CEC pretty much every day. Jack loves that place! Yesterday; dad CEC! Sorry, it's not anyones birthday. Uhhuh, GRANDMA! Oh really? & she wants to go to CEH? YES! Sorry not today bud