Saturday, April 13, 2013

The magical anthem

Driving around this evening, I received a song request from the backseat.

"Mom, can you sing the hockey song? You know, the magical anthem?!"

Well, sure. If ever there was a request I needed to take, it would be to sing the magical anthem. So, I sung it with the full gusto of my dropped-out-after-two-voice-lessons voice, (maybe) missing a line here or two.

Hey - if Christina Aguilera can't remember it all, how am I supposed to?

"O'er the l-a-a-a-a-a-n-n-n-n-d of the fr-r-r-r-r-r-e-e-e-e-e-e, and the ho-"

"Wait wait wait, Mom." Bjorn interjects. "You skipped a part. The part about the tigers."

I racked my brain. Tigers?! In the Star Spangled Banner?  Have I been missing something all these years? Ramparts? Check. Broad stripes? Check. TIGERS?!

"What tigers, Bjorn?"

"Oh, Mom. You know!" as he begins singing.

"Staa-a-a-a-r-r-r-r- spa-n-n-ngles. Oh-h-h-h-h-h say can you se-e-e-e-e-e-e. That the tig-e-e-e-r-r-rs are stil-l-l-l-l there."

Then he went off on a tangent, taking his little sister with him.

"And the chickens are still there!"

"Tikkens!" echoes Peanut.

"The monkeys are still there!"

"Oooohhh ooohh oh. Ahhh Ahh ahhh." she cries in a perfect monkey imitation.

"The zebras are still there!"

"Zeeeee! Zeeeee!"

"And the elephants are still there!" he sings.

"YAY!"

And they both collapse into their seats, laughing and alternately singing/yelling "Monkey! Tigers! Chickens!"

Best magical anthem ever.

No comments: