Saturday, March 24, 2012

Winning the Battle with a Two Year Old

I HAVE WON!!!

Yes, I won, I won, I won, I won, I won!!!!

No. . . not the lottery  (although I did win a little bit back in January).

I have won in the battle of the TV.

See, I have nothing against TV. Nothing at all. I myself enjoy a little Law & Order and old episodes of How I Met Your Mother. I love football Sundays (and Mondays and Thursdays) and have been known to marathon CSI all day long.

So, I had nothing against TV. Until it became the first thing my 2 year old asked for in the morning and every 2 minutes after that, until he finally went to bed at night.

If the TV was already on, he would even ask for "More TV" if he saw that his show was ending. If The Hubs or I put the channel on something more adult than Jake and the Never Land Pirates, the mantra became "More Bjorn TV, please. Bjorn TV!"

What my 2 year old has not yet understood is that I would love to let him watch some TV. A show or two a day. Because while it may entertain and educate him, it gives me a break.

But I refuse to let him watch TV show after show after show, and the kid won't just settle for one episode of Little Einsteins without throwing a worlds-gonna-end hissy fit.

So I cut it out. Completely. Didn't listen to the whining and the crying and the all day temper tantrums. Didn't lose my cool when all I wanted was a break and all he wanted was to bug me.

No, I kept the TV off.


(Except for that one time I was putting the baby to sleep and she was fussing and I just needed him to BE QUIET. And that one other time when I hadn't yet had a cup of coffee, but I had already put together two puzzles, read a book and danced with Mr. Potato Head. It is for these times that TV was invented..)

And this morning, for the first time in probably six months. . . .he didn't ask for TV.

Not once in the first 15 minutes he was awake. Or in the next 15 minutes. OR FOR THE NEXT HOUR.

He woke up, came to hug me and began to play with blocks. 5 seconds later when he got tired of that, he found a puzzle to throw around the living room. Then it was time to annoy his baby sister by hugging her and not letting go. After that came car crashing, more singing and dancing with Mr Potato Head, and fun-with-flashlights, with a slight break for milk, juice, bananas and helping me put laundry in the washer.

All in all, it was a good morning.

A great morning for no TV.

And did I mention - I won this battle?!

Bring it on, Hunger Games. If I can withstand the torment of a temper-tantrum throwing two year old who wants Mickey Mouse Clubhouse ("I want it now!now!now!") and won't settle for the distant second choice of reading "Everyone Poops" yet one more time, I can take your bows and your arrows and your Muttations.

Because I'm a victor.