Thursday, January 19, 2012

The best of intentions

Every morning I wake up with the best of intentions.

I won't yell at my kids. I won't get frustrated that neither one of them will nap, but desperately, desperatly need to. I will play cars/puzzles/color/play-doh/hockey in between the never-ending rounds of laundry, dishes and snack times.  I will teach my children patience through my example.

And every day, my intentions go right down the toilet. (Where, btw, my son still doesn't want to sit. We are really trying to push this soon, though. His diapers are N-A-S-T-Y!)

I grab my coffee, hand the kiddo his milk and ask if he wants to read a book with me. Immediately he begins crying and whining. "Nooooooooo. TV. MY TV. Wittle Einsteins. Kah-ooooo. Wittle EINSTEINS!!!!!"

I hate to admit it, but I usually give in.

I know, I know. . . you are not supposed to give in to toddler bullying.

But, geez, I haven't even had a sip of coffee yet. Just give me some caffeine before the TV whining begins.

Yesterday, though, I decided that enough was enough.

No TV.

No amount of whining, begging or pleading was going to get me to turn on the TV. Even when he boycotted his nap - my sweet, heavenly hour and a half of naptime - no TV. Even when my coffee had not hit my system yet, No TV.

And something strange happened.

After the first hour of intermittent pleading and scream-whining. . . . it stopped. No more whining. And, even more miraculously. . . . .Bjorn played.

He took out every toy that he owns and over the course of six hours proceeded to play with each and every one of them. Over and over and over again. He took the wooden crocodile over a bridge, where it fell into a lake of alligators and had to be rescued with a shovel. He let all 459 cars loose throughout the house, racing around corners and up hills. He drew lines and circles all over his chalkboard table, wiped it up, and did it again.

I think he had fun. I know I did.

At the end of the day, I was throughly exhausted. From Bjorn's constant demand for attention to the constant watching where I put my foot, lest it land on one of the thousands of cars, I was exhausted. But it was a good kind of exhausted.

Don't get me wrong here, I have nothing against TV. (Obviously, to anyone who knows me!)  I think the shows Bjorn watches are some of the reasons he has such a large vocabulary, and how he knows so many random facts. From Dino Dan to Little Einsteins, Mickey Mouse Clubhouse to Sesame Street, TV has changed since I was little. It has become educational. Informative. And, yes, while it can be used as a babysitter while I prepare dinner, it also is a good learning tool.

It's also nice to turn it off. Especially when the weather is so nice and a tricycle and hockey sticks are beckoning us outside.

No comments: