Monday, October 3, 2011

Big Boy Bed: Take Three

So, we've had Bjorn in his Big Boy Bed for about 7 weeks now.

How do I know its been 7 weeks?!

Because we were stupid silly enough to start him in it when Peanut was about two weeks old. . . and she is now 9 weeks old. Thus. . . . .7 weeks.

It has had its ups and downs.

Literally. He gets up and gets down. Then comes running in our room. "Bjorn down! Down from Bjorn's bed!"

Yeah, we know. If you were still in it, we would still be sleeping.

It is still a little bit of a battle putting him to sleep/nap. He likes to have something to take with him to bed, but its never the same thing. He likes to ask for for milk (no), juice (no), cereal (no), car suitcase (ok). Then he grabs his car suitcase/lunchbox/dinosaur book and walks calmly to bed. He lies down nicely, then looks up with those big ol baby greens of his and says, 'Mommy sit wall?'

So I sit on the wall.

We used to have to lie on the floor next to his bed. Then we moved to sitting on the floor next to him. Now we sit on the wall next to the door. Hopefully, it is only a matter of time before we can leave completely, without sitting on the floor at all.

But maybe not.

See, we have had problems with him sleeping practically since the beginning.

He's always slept through the night - that's not been the problem. But putting him to sleep has always been a battle and a half. When he was in a crib, we would put him to bed, and he would cry. SCREAM. BELLOW. BANSHEE. For 5-10 minutes. But if we could get through those hours minutes of torturous cries, he would fall fast asleep and stay asleep all through the night.

This never stopped. As much as everyone told me he would grow out of it - that this was "just a phase" - he didn't. It wasn't. He cried until the moment we put him in a big boy bed. Then cried some more.

So the fact that we have to sit on the floor with him for a few minutes is not really a big deal. Not when you think that we used to have to listen to him sobbing and screeching for five minutes. I'll take the floor any day.

2 comments:

Mommy This and That said...

I feel your pain! S didn't start sleeping through the night until he was TWO!! And now? Now I have a little girl who has started waking up every hour until I place her in our bed and snuggle beside her! She use to sleep through the night whether I was beside her or not! UGH!!

Tamara said...

I hear you, Andi! Our sleep problems feel never-ending. Last night I guess I fell asleep snuggling Allie to sleep in her big girl bed. Alex came in to get me at 1:30 a.m. when the baby needed me! I dont remember the last time I slept through the night.... Maybe 2008? :)I will say a little prayer for you tonight when it's time for the kids to go night-night!!!