Sunday, August 28, 2011

One Month

One month.

My little Peanut M&M is one month today.

One month ago, I was wondering if this little baby was a boy or a girl, with lots of hair or no hair, who would look like me or the Hubs or like neither of us, but her own little mix.

And then she was here.

And nothing has been the same since.

We've had our ups and downs already. (Re: Bedtime battles with the toddler and Acid Reflux in Peanut.) But I have to keep reminding myself that we are only 4 weeks into dealing with and learning to live with her. She is only one month into surviving outside of an environment that used to be consistently warm and snug. Now she has to deal with cold and hunger and waiting to be soothed. It's a different kind of life for all of us.

In the last month, she has:
  • Slept through the night once - from 11 pm until 5 am. And the one other time from 7 pm until 2 am. I consider both of these forms of 'sleeping through the night', as I consider any 5+ hour stretch of sleep.
  • Been diagnosed with acid reflux and put on Zantac. Things are MUCH smoother now. She has fits still - as any infant does. No longer are there 3 hour screaming banshee fits. Now we get the much sweeter 'La-la-la-la' cries of newborn hunger/sleep/comfort-needing. We like this better.
  • Put on at least 2 lbs from birth weight. At the doctors appointment last Monday, she weighed 9 lbs, 5 ounces. Woo hoo!! Go Mommy Milk!
  • Went from nursing well to nursing horribly to nursing okay. She nursed great in the hospital - of course. Latched on and went to town immediately, with no problems. Came home from the hospital and it went all downhill. She began 'chewing' her way on, leaving me bleeding and with gnaw marks. We got through that with the help of 'clear sombreros' (nipple shields), but now she has a problem latching and staying latched. I guess if it ain't one thing, it's another!
  • Been lifting her head pretty much since the second week. When holding her to your shoulder, she will push off, and arch back in order to better look at you. Or in order to burp or fart. It's really a toss up as to which it is.
  • A little bit of baby acne. Unfortunately, it is all on her face, upper back and chest. Apparently, its perfectly normal, but it doesn't look comfortable. It looks angry. I've been putting breast milk on it in order to try and ease it up a little.
I am recovering nicely. I am driving (woo hoo!) and I have taken the kids shopping by myself a few times. As well as taking them to the Children's Museum - which I could most definitely not have done if I hadn't gone with Nicole. There was no way I could have kept up with Bjorn while holding Peanut. He's too fast and climbs too high.

1 comment:

Mommy This and That said...

You go girl! I can honestly say I go no where with both kids, alone. I'm just chicken. The few times I have it's definitely been quite a lesson in patience. And deodorant. Because I've ended up sweating like a big rolled in a blanket!!

And yes, give yourself some slack. It's only been a month. I've survived 6 months and I'm still struggling to get into a true groove!!

Finally...I'm here if you need me!!