Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Kids say the Darnedest Things. . . .

We've been asking him lately about Peanut, and which sibling he would like, occasionally throwing in a twist. No matter what, he always picks the last option we give him.

"Bjorn, do you think Peanut is a brother or a sister?" "Sister!"

"Do you want a girl or a boy?" "Boy!"

"Would you like a brother or a puppy?" "Puppy!"

But then he got to be a little too smart for us. At my latest OB visit, Doc asked Bjorn, "Do you want a brother or a sister?"

To which he replied eagerly, "Puppy!!"

***************************************************

Although Bjorn is right on schedule with his pediatrician-approved 5 new words a week, we are trying to work on some of the words he won't say.

Like he won't say 'elephant', he will just make the sound (whinny? snort?) like an elephant.

He won't say 'motorcycle', just 'Vroom vroom' or, more often than not, 'Rtrtrtrtrtrtrtr'. It's more like a grunt than anything else.

And horse. He won't say it - just goes 'Neeeiiigghh' like a good horsie.

Until today. Watching Sesame Street today, he pointed to the TV.

'Mommy! Mommy! Hor! Hor!'  To which I looked at the screen, expecting to see Heidi Fleiss and friends.

Nope. Just a HorSE. NOT a Hor.

********************************************************

A few days ago, I took Bjorn to a park with a slide he can go down all by himself.

At first he was a little anxious, so I made a big deal about it - clapping, smiling, the whole shebang. he quickly got the hang of it, and I felt my applause was no longer needed.

Then after sliding down, he looked over at me. 'Mommy. Quack. Quack now!'

'Quack? A duck? Where do you see a duck?' I asked him.

'No Mommy! Quack. Not Quack!'

Which thoroughly confused me.

We went back and forth a few times, until finally I asked him to show me what he meant.

He walked right over to me, took my hands and made me clap. 'Mommy. Good job, Bjorn. Quack!'

So I quacked. Ummm. . . I mean, clapped.

2 comments:

Mommy This and That said...

Funny...I am the only one that understands my son the first time he says something! My poor husband always thinks the kid says some of the weirdest things...but it's all lost in translation!!

Lise said...

Ah, are you just LOVING this stage? The beginnings of toddler talking is cracking me up!