Friday, June 10, 2011

Like a Fish to Water

I have never actually learned to swim.

I can kick and stay afloat and do all the things that will keep me from drowning, but I most comfortabe drifting along in the shallow end of the pool atop a raft that comes with a can holder.

The Hubs, on the other hand, grew up a competitive swimmer and even now, at a big 6''1', can slice cleanly through the water. At one point deep in his scuba diving days, he entertained the thought of going for his Underwater Rescue Diver certification and running his own dive shop.

I still hold my nose to go underwater.

Needless to say, I was a little anxious about Bjorn's first day of swim lessons. Would he take after me and dip his toes slowly in the water or like his Daddy and dive right in?

I shouldn't have worried. He dove.

Like a natural, he jumped right in and when the instructor said to kick, he kicked. When he asked Bjorn to use his arms, he did. And when he asked him to do both at the same time, the little Boy Wonder did that, too.

He blew bubbles, dove under water for plastic pool rings and jumped in the water from the side of the pool. He swam (with me holding him just above water) from one end of the pool to the other and back again. He seal-crawled in the shallow end and monkey walked along the length of the pool, holding onto the railing.

Having been in a pool only half a dozen times at most, he was a completely natural. Took to it like a fish to water.

So it looks like we may be spending alot of time in the water in the future. Guess I will have to take swim lessons, too!

4 comments:

kderoll said...

I think that is awesome that you taking him to swim lessons early, like now. It is so much easier to learn/teach when they are young, without as much fear? then when they are older - like 7 or 8 or 11 . . .

Amber Page Writes said...

That is one brave little boy! But maybe you can learn together?

Meg said...

kick, paddle, kick, paddle, all the way to shore. ;)

Mommy This and That said...

I'm jealous that you are doing swim lessons. I wanted to start when Spence was 6 months but Hubbs thought it was silly. Because we don't have a pool at home, blah, blah, blah. Nevermind that one of the grandparents have one. But if I had to think what my boy would act like? He's be like me...holding the nose and definitely not diving!