Tuesday, May 10, 2011

You made your bed. . . now lie in it

I started a blog post today, got about halfway through and saved it.

Or I thought I did. I swear it said 'Saved'.

But I went to search for it tonight and. . . . nothing. Crickets.

And I'm tired and all my good ideas and funny phrasing were used up in the earlier, deleted blog post. So here is the Reader's Digest Condensed Version.

Tried to convert the kiddo's crib to a toddler bed this weekend. He seemed really excited about it - picked out new Elmo & Cookie sheets all by himself. Put all his monkeys and bears to go Night Night and climbed in and out multiple times, testing the waters of a three (and a half) sided bed.

Then night time hit and he went B-A-N-A-N-A-S. Completely bananas.

It wasn't just crying coming from the room, it was heart-wrenching sobs. Not just screaming, but screeching. He was terrified of being in that bed.

I had been warned, so I held on as long as I could. Two and a half hours later, with The Hubs and I trading off the calming and soothing, The Hubs threw up his hands, grabbed his allen wrench and had the bed back into a crib in less than five minutes.

10 seconds later, Bjorn was fast asleep.

So, yeah, we caved. Easily. I had heard to give it a few days, or a week to transition. But something in me - in us - said that maybe we were trying to push it. Maybe Bjorn just wasn't ready.

That's ok. I didn't see many kids bringing their cribs to college, so he will be in a real bed eventually. (I hope.)

Until then, I'll enjoy that he is still a little boy. And not make him grow up too fast.

3 comments:

Jenn said...

Cameron will NOT part with his crib. He loves it. We tried, we all failed. The doctor told us not to push it and try again when he turns three. That's next month. Crap.

Andrea and Jeff said...

I wouldn't rush it either especially with Peanut coming. We waited until Katie was 2 and long after she had gotten used to little sister. She was very ready and had no problems with the transition. Plus, having him in a crib still will help you get that double nap time in. :)

Mommy This and That said...

If he loves it and sleeps well, let it be. Maybe after Peanut arrives he will want ot give it to him/her, on his own!