Thursday, March 3, 2011

There ain't nothin' like a Potty Post

Yesterday, after reading Amber's blog and on the heels of changing what had to have been my 100th diaper of the week, I decided it was time.

Past time, actually.

I bought Bjorn a potty.

And, as fitting a Baby Bjorn becoming a Big Boy Bjorn, he got this potty.


A baby Bjorn. How apropos.


I almost got him this one.



Because I really like the idea of him sitting on his throne, but. . . well. . . I think Daddy would get jealous if Bjorn had one and he didn't. And it doesn't come in Real Big Boy size.

I haven't read any books on potty training. I haven't even really decided that I want to try to potty train Bjorn. But he is 21 months old. Verrry smart for his age. And if he wants to try a potty, well, at least there is one sitting right there for him.

And so he did. Try it, I mean. Not just once, but twice.

The first time was forced. During his few minutes of naked time - after bath and before PJ's - he peed on our living room rug. The Hubs was disgusted, but I could smell opportunity (and the slight acrid smell of baby pee). I immediately grabbed him and hustled him onto his potty, reciting "You go pee pee on the potty. The potty is for pee pee. You go pee pee on the potty. The potty is for pee pee."

He kept repeating me. "Pee pee? Pee pee?" until after just a few minutes, he pee'd again. . . this time in the potty.

Which he promptly stuck his hand in and swished around. Yuck.

Then today, again after bath time (when I know he pee'd quite a few times in the bath because I saw it), we were on our way to get our PJ's on when he grabbed my hand. "Pee pee? Pee pee?" "Bjorn, you need to get your PJ's on." "Pee pee!" he cried. Fine, I figured, if the kid wants to sit on his throne, I should let him. Heck, maybe he just needed to get comfortable with it.

But, no, he needed to pee again.  "Pee pee." he said. And then he went.

I'm so proud. Who could have thought I would be so proud of peeing? But I am. So proud, in fact, that Bjorn got not one but two Elmo stamps on his hands after his big boy pee pee. So proud.

**As a disclaimer, I still don't know anything about potty training. I didn't expect him to take an interest in the potty at all, and this might just be beginner's luck and he forgets all about it in a few days. But I think I need to go buy borrow from the library some books on potty training. Any suggestions?**

**In case you are counting, I wrote the word 'Pee' 27 times in this post. I thought you might be interested.**

No comments: