Sunday, January 16, 2011

Get this Jillian: A New Way to Shred!

I am in the midst of simplifying my life. Call it nesting, call it throwing away. Whatever. I'm simplifying.

This simplifying means I am getting rid of everything from clothes and shoes to books, papers and, yes, friends.

Well, not friends, really, because if you are a friend, I am obviously not going to get rid of you. But yesterday Bjorn was fiddling with my phone and began dialing. #6 on my speed dial. And it took me a few minutes to remember who it was. We worked together almost two years ago. Once. And then I have not seen or talked to her since. The only reason I can think this person is #6 on my speed dial is because I must have gotten their number immediately after getting my phone.

I deleted her. And it didn't even hurt.

Obviously, I need some simplification.

I used to love my shredder. I would shred everything from old test papers to junk mail. My college roommate and I used to spend hours shredding. It was calming, relaxing. Not to mention fun when it contained pictures and notes from old boyfriends. Then my shredder broke, exhausted from over use, and I refused to spend the $40 to replace it. So there it sits, in a corner of my office, neglected and dusty. And the junk mail continues to pile up.

Right after Bjorn was born we realized that our current filing system was not going to be enough. The medical bills were piling up, and more files than we could handle were being created (Bjorn Medical, Me Too Medical, Bjorn Cards, etc.). I like files. I like filing. It keeps things neat.



In my defense, I . . . . will, there is no defense. This mammoth is 42 inches long.
 Except when you fill a filing cabinet large enough for a law office, things are not being organized and neat. They are being lost in the shuffle.

A few minutes ago I googled "How long do I keep utility bills" and google nicely sent me to a number of websites who all told me. . . . . to get rid of them. Three months is all you need to establish residency. Max. And considering that I pay my bills online and have a record of everything through both my bank account and the online electricity company, I can probably keep less than that. So why do I still have utility bills from my first apartment in college? ( I may keep one of those, though. Just for posterity. "Look kids, your mom used over 500 gallons of water when she lived in her first apartment!! Cool, huh?!")

Lifeorganizers has a list of how long to keep all your bills and documents and I resolve to use this list to clear my space. Simplify my office.

It's a nice start.

1 comment:

Baby Names said...

Thanks for the kind words! I appreciate the link.