Thursday, December 16, 2010

Linus

I never thought it would happen, but my kid has turned into a Blanket Kid.

Or, as he calls them, a "Nani" Kid.

He has to have his Nani's with him everywhere. In the car. On the couch. While he's eating.

We have set limits - no blankets brought into daycare, no blankets in restaurants.

And I won't let him drag the blanket around in public either. Not because I'm afraid of germs. Pssshaw. The kid eats dirt. I don't worry much about germs. No, I won't let him because I know he has the attention span of an 18 month old and, as much as he loves that blanket, he's going to see a bird or a dog or a baby and drop it like it's hot. And then we're in real trouble if I can't find it.

I found that out the hard way tonight.

See, his two favorite blankets were D-I-R-T-Y. Oh, horribly dirty. So I did what any normal person would do and threw the blankets in the washer.

An hour before bedtime. 

And I know those are his favorite blankets, but, I mean, c'mon, the kid has like 50 blankets, he can just use another two for bedtime tonight, right?!

Wrong. Oops.

At 7:15, he started searching the house for his Nani's. Even showing him the stack of thirty other blankets in the living room, and the drawer of a million and a half in his room didn't deter him. He searched everywhere (his room, our room, under the couch) for those two special blankets.

He tried to go to bed once, but when we got to the doorway of his room, he started sobbing "Nani nani nani nani" and wouldn't take any other blankets and didn't want to go into his crib.

It was the world's longest wash cycle. But finally it was done, I threw these two blankets into the dryer and five minutes later they were dry.

I handed them to the kid, he hugged them, smiled and walked right into his room, up to his crib and said "Nigh nigh." 

The kid knows what he wants. And what he wants are those blankets. Guess I've learned my lesson.

5 comments:

Lindsay said...

My son is also a "blankie boy," but his is dubbed his "be be." He has 2 identical be bes, one that stays at daycare (for naps only), and one at our house. He is SO attached to it, but I can't blame the boy. I had one until about age.. Well, until he was born! :)

Tamara said...

So funny the things our babies get attached to! These days Allie can usually be found dragging around either a stuffed Elmo or stuffed Tigger, both of which she diapers, feeds, snuggles and attempts to potty train. I better know where either Elmo or Tigger is at every moment of the day... or else! :)

Amber Page Writes said...

Tori suddenly wants her blanket too. Only she calls it her baby. Yeah. My kid is weird.

John, Becky and Olivia said...

This happened to us yesterday though I put it in with plenty of time before bed but she still had a melt down that it was being washed. I've never seen her so happy as when it came out of the dryer. I'll have to start washing it when she's at daycare.

Erin said...

Oh...the drama of lost blankie's -
we recently "lost" the scrap of dingy pinkish rag that my daughter loves dearly in the grocery store - we too have a "blankie doesn't leave the house rule" but I was too tired that night to enforce:(

We also have a "Puppy" and a series of three "Guys" that my older children are in love with -

Needless to say...we can't travel light:)

LOVE YOUR WRITING!