Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Hi. My Name is Scrooge and I am Christmased out. Already.

Oh, friends, I am Bah-Humbugging big time.

I can't figure out why. This year the weather in Phoenix has actually reached almost-record lows, hovering in the 20's and 30's overnight, so I should be feeling more Christmas-y than last year's no-need-for-a-coat December.

But I'm not.

I don't want to take Bjorn to sit on Santa's lap. Why wait in a three hour line so I can get a $20 picture of my kid screaming as he sits on some fat guy's lap when he doesn't even know who Santa is yet? I'll have plenty of years ahead where I smile patiently and wait so he can desperately ask Santa for his red rider BB gun, but for now, I opt out of the whole deal.

I pushed and prodded and cajoled until I got the Hubs to take a Christmas card picture even though we decided not to take pictures this year, but I got free cards from Shutterfly so we have to because it's free. . . . . and then decided that the picture was not the right picture and we have to do it all over again. But I haven't told him yet. Not looking forward to that, either.

I blame retailers for selling Christmas ornaments before Halloween, completely skipping a whole fun month of food, festivity and holidays.

Could I be Christmased out before the season even begins?

Yesterday I grudgingly began holiday decorating. Every other item I took from our 7 boxes of decorations made me cringe. Did I really think that puffy paint personalized stockings would stand the test of time? And sparkles? Wow. I immediately started a box to donate.

And today? I'm going to brave the stores with a kid who has just gotten over being sick since Sunday. A kid who wants to run and play after sleeping and whining away the last four days. But I need something (red and purple ornaments, fruitcake, the dreaded tinsel, anything) to make it begin to look alot like Christmas.

Maybe Santa can bring me some Christmas spirit this year. Otherwise, thy name is Scrooge.

4 comments:

Amber Page Writes said...

WE haven't even attempted to take a family picture yet. And the house hasn't even begun to be decorated. And I don't know what to get anyone for Christmas. And I'd really rather go on vacation.

And, and and...I guess I'm right there with you.

Melody said...

I'm there too. :P Davie and I officially decided last night that we aren't going to decorate or get a tree or anything else until we have kids. I told him once we have kids, it's a must, but until then, I'm fine with skipping it. We'll get decorations and holiday spirit when we got to my parents house for a few days. Otherwise, I'm fine with missing out.

Mommy This and That said...

And I'm sure getting my card didn't help! Oops...sorry.

I am back and forth with Christmas, one moment I am humming a tune and the next I just want it to be over with! Must be my hormones!!

Anonymous said...

Your grandma used to tell me the story about bath time about me (your dad).
I think I was 3 or so, and I did not want to take a bath. So when she undressed me… I took off and ran out the door in nothing but my birthday suit and simply “ran like the wind” , strutting my stuff to the neighborhood.


So, you see, in the same respect that Al Gore takes credit for inventing the internet, I take credit for inventing streaking.