Thursday, October 21, 2010

Crap to Craft

I've been attempting to narrow down my To Do list lately and the top three items that have been carried over from list to list for months now all have to do with crafting.

How is it that I can keep the Hubs in clean clothes, the kiddo in diapers and the dog out of the trash, but I can't manage to get a teeny-weensy little crafting done?

Thanks to the help of my very-soon-mom-to-be friend Meg, who is the only reason my shelves are hung straight and pictures are in frames, I was reminded that I have a blog specifically for crafting and I need to get off my lazy ass, take some pictures and post on it.

So I did.

But then I realized that no one really reads that blog. (Does anyone read this one?!) Maybe because my last post was Friday October 16 2009 and the Blog World tends to give up on you in a year?

So I've kinda chucked that blog to the side and you, dear Bjorn Blog Readers, get to savor in the fruits of my crap. Craft. I meant craft.

Here we go. Martha, watch out. I'm back in town.

(Martha may have to watch out, but Ansel Adams is safe. Bill Gates, too. I am the worst photographer ever and I don't know enough about computers to know how to rotate my pictures. Yes, I am that computer un-savvy. It's enough that I know how to create a blog!)

After literally months of scouring antique stores and Target for a key and mail holder that looks like it came from Pottery Barn but costs just a fraction, I realized that I had exactly what I was looking for in my very home. It just needed a little tweak.




Behold. The perfect key and mail holder. Which will take my mail off the counter and my keys where they can always be found. This has been hiding behind a door. When we first moved in (3 1/2 years ago!), I hung this in the laundry room before I realized that it would always be hidden behind the open laundry room door. Oops. So I forgot about it.But isn't it a little too boring? I thought so!

You like the mini waffles and half a fruit bar? Nice touch, don't you think? Bjorn thought so. I laid it on the tile floor to take the picture, and he thought the chalkboard was the perfect place to sit and eat his snack. I let him. This was a $10 purchase from IKEA 4 years ago. If he broke it before the tweaking started, I really didn't care.



Not broken. So off to the first step: Newspaper to cover the chalkboard. It's very sad to say, but I had to call Meg again to ask how she covers what she doesn't want spray painted. What can I say? It was my first time using spray paint in years. I blame the aerosol from the last use for my lack of brain cells.



So I'm new at this taking pictures while I post thing. I missed a step. See all that red showing through the black? That's because Step One was to spray paint the entire thing brick red. Why? Because I googled "How to Spray Paint to make wood look rustic" and the first website I picked told me I should paint Brick Red first and then layer Black on top. And it was on the internet, people, so you know it was right. They can't make this stuff up.



One coat of red and three coats of black spray paint are done. I'm questioning why I even went to the trouble of painting red, waiting eight hours for it to dry and then doing the same with the coats of black. Why not just start with black?



Ah, the joys of photography. "Look kids, a blurred picture of my hand and a small piece of sandpaper!" Just wanted to show you that I was too cheap to spend $5 ($5!!!) on a piece of sandpaper at Lowe's and this is the only sandpaper I could find in the huge workspace that is my Hubs garage. I don't really know what this midget sandpaper attaches to. A sander for dwarves? An electric hand sander for children?



After sanding. Can you see a difference? I couldn't either. And then I took this.



And realized that it actually looks pretty good. The red shows through just enough to have that rustic-y, this-has-been-used-but-in-a-good-way feel to it. I love it. I used to be a white wood, country cottage kind of decorator, but after getting married to a Big Strong Man who is afraid of anything white, I now prefer the dark woods and blacks with a slight antiqued, used feel. Which is what I got with this $10 IKEA piece, two cans of spray paint and some crafting time.

I am now in the process of spray painting everything in home black. You think I'm kidding. Wait until my next crafty post.



Grocery store ads on one side, mail on the other, places to hang keys and (although you can't see it) there are thin holders for the chalk above the mail holder and below the chalkboard, and that is where I now stash my sunglasses. Sigh. I still prefer Pottery Barn, but I also prefer to pay my mortgage and not eat Ramen. For my wallet, this is perfect.

3 comments:

Mommy This and That said...

That looks fabulous! I have some things that I want to try...but I really never have the time. Or now I never have the energy. Pregnancy #2 is making me tired All. The. Time.

Baby Mama said...

I am very impressed with your craft skills. I can't even sew a button. Wish I was kidding.

John, Becky and Olivia said...

Very nice.

I was beginning to wonder about that other blog too.