Tuesday, July 13, 2010

A promise to my son

Dear Bjorn,

Someday in the way, way future I expect you to give me some grandchildren. (That, or become a priest, but we'll talk more about that later.)

Yes, that's right. I expect to have some cute little boogers who look just like you and the beautiful, not-quite-as-good-as-your-mama Girl you will someday marry. And they will be just like you. . .except I won't have to pay for 'em, change 'em or spend days working my schedule around their nap time.

That being said, I will not become a crazy Jewish mama who wants you to get married already. (Partly because I'm not Jewish. Mainly because I just. won't. rush. you.)

Not like some people.

See, there are Mamas out there, dear Bjorn, who are over-bearing and pushy. We call them 'Buttinsky's'. And whether you choose to marry at 20 or 40, I will do my damnedest (sp??) to not become a Buttinsky.

Because I would rather you remain single until 40 then that you marry the wrong person.

I would rather you learn to love life on your own than need someone beside you in order to enjoy life.

I would rather you wait until it is absolutely right for you than settle.

You are worth the best. You are worth waiting for someone as great as you. And no one (yes, no one - not even your Mama) will force, maneuver or guilt you into dating or marrying someone who may or may not be the perfect woman for you.

That being said. . . . I may falter sometimes.

Like when that cute flight attendant smiles oh-so sweetly at you. I may wind up talking to her and in the course of that conversation work in that you played baseball at Stanford and now do non-profit work for the homeless. I may mention the dimples when you smile and your ever-ready laugh.

But I won't push. It's not my way.

And I promise, wonderful little boy, I will never. ever. ever. create or log in to a website that will get my son a date. Talking to prospective daughters-in-law is as far as I'll go.

So, good luck. Dating isn't easy. But dating with your mother at the wheel is even harder. I'll spare you that.

Love always,

Your (Non-Buttinsky) Mama





Mama's Losin' It

This has been a part of
Mama Kat's Writing Workshop. Now head on over and check out what my friends had to say!

11 comments:

John, Becky and Olivia said...

Very nice. My favorite are the comments at the end of the article you linked to. =)

Me Too said...

I didn't even read them until RIGHT NOW. And they are hilarious. Soooo true. Ha!

dusty earth mother said...

How hilarious! I read that same article yesterday and almost blogged about it. Hey, to each their own, right? But that guy must be planning a move across the country.

anymommy said...

Funny. I think staying out of it is a much better plan!

parentingBYdummies said...

I am already working on my Marry The Dudes Website dedicated to finding a woman for my guys when they are older. I'm not gonna just give them to any old girl to ruin! I thought the guy seemed pretty good natured about the whole thing. He's probably a fantastic son!

The Spotted Hen said...

Your story is too funny! It reminds me of when I had my daughter. We had just had the ultrasound and found out it was going to be a girl. I let out a happy sigh and my husband turned to me and said, "Just remember it's her wedding, not yours!"

apaprikao said...

Very cute! I agree, those comments are HILARIOUS! Your son is adorable.

Stopping by from Mama Kat's!

~Tara said...

Great post! Now your promise to your son is set in stone...LOL!

Looking forward to reading more posts, you've got a great blog here!

KLZ said...

I already worry about this because I want grandchildren. No questions.

So my strategy is to have a bunch of my own kids so that at LEAST one of them will be having little babies to make me giggle.

CaJoh said...

Stopping by from Mamma Kat's…

Now you'll have to remember this promise when he's 35 and still living at home.

Thanks for sharing,

CoffeeJitters (Judy Haley) said...

AMEN! My husband is perfect for me, but my parents would never in a million years have picked him. And Buttinskis are awful.