Seriously, in the span of about fifteen seconds where my eyes were off him, Bjorn ate a half-dissolved dishwasher gel pac from the dishwasher.
You know what tipped me off that something could be wrong? For those 15 seconds, there was silence in my house.
Now I know what Simon and Garfunkel meant about the 'Sounds of Silence'. Silence can be deafening.
Immediately, I go on auto-pilot. Grabbed him up, pulled the gel pac out of his mouth and pulled my finger through his mouth, getting alot of the blue gunk out. He threw up on the rug, and I kicked the dog away from licking it while dialing the pediatrician.
I never knew I could multi-task so well.
Long story short, Bjorn is fine. The Ped told me a few things, and then had me call Poison Control, where they told me that dishwasher gel pacs were pretty much soap with a few other enzymes. They were only worried about vomiting and choking on it.
I, on the other hand, was worried about everything. How could I not be? My kid had just eaten soap!! On my watch.
That kind of responsibility is scary. Verry scary. This little person's life is in my hands - as dramatic as that sounds! - and I am the one responsible for him. Would you trust me with your life!?!