Saturday, November 14, 2009

This little Piggie went to market and this little Piggie stayed home. . . .

I have a confession to make.

This whole H1N1 Swine Flu Pandemic Stuff kinda freaks me out.

I don't remember ever receiving a flu shot. I'm sure I did, because back in those days (of horses and carriages and walking three miles up hill barefoot in the snow) before vaccines were blamed for autism and ADHD and obesity, everyone got vaccines. It is just what you did.

But I don't remember getting it.

And I don't remember getting the flu, either. If I did get the flu, I'm 99.9% sure it hasn't been in the last ten years. Allergies, yes. Broken nose and finger and some weird rash-thing no doctor has ever been able to diagnose, yes. But the flu? Nope. Not me.

And it's not really Piggie Flu that is upsetting me, but it is the constant media attention on the flu in general. On swine flu and regular flu and flu shots.

It was not until this past year, when Piggie Flu erupted in sty's everywhere, that I first learned that the normal flu kills approximately 30,000 people a year. Wha-wha-what??

How come I had never heard that before?

That number seems so enormous to me. So incredible to believe. 30,000.

That would be 50 times my HS graduating class. It would be the entire Texas Tech University student body the year I graduated. It would be a little less than 1/3 the city I live in now.

Wow.

According to the MADD website, a little less than 12,000 people died in drunk driving accidents in 2008.

Yet the normal, average, everyday flu killed almost three times as many people as drunk driving.

And that is what scared me. Because now it's not just me against the world.

It's me standing between the world and Bjorn.

2 comments:

Amber Page Writes said...

I hear you. I don't care if I get it...but I don't want those nasty germs anywhere near my daughter.

Unfortunately, we can't even get the vaccine here yet.

AndBabyWillMake4 said...

I actually remember the last time I got the flu. It was January of 07 and I only remember because I had not had it in years. When we moved up to GA from FL, the company I worked for always had the flu shots for us if we wanted them. I never got one and it seemed those that did always ended up with the flu anyway. Now I worry about anyone that coughs, sniffles, sneezes near me and Spence. I can wash my hands and keep us clean...but that doesn't protect us from Joe Schmo that refuses to do so!