Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Thank you. Thanks very much.

In the interest of being like every other Blogger out there, today is the day we blog about what we are thankful for, blah blah blah, yadda yadda yadda.


But I can't be all sappy - even if it is that time of year. I'll save that for Christmas, maybe. Don't hold your breath.

Here is my list of thankfulness. In no particular order, we have:

Top 11 Things I'm Thankful For & Top 3 Things I am Not:


I am thankful for:

  • My friends and family. I group them into one big lump of thankfulness because some of my friends are as close as family and some of my family are my best friends. They are the cheese to my tater tots and the deep-fry to my turkey. I would still be me without them, but they make me into a much more awesome version of me.

  • My job. I am thankful that my job gives me so much time off to enjoy my little man, and I'm thankful that I have a job to go back to. In this world of almost 10% unemployment, that is not a small thing. I'm also grateful to have a job that, while maybe doesn't put to full use my years of college debt, are helping, as MSN.com states, to stave off the boredom that usually occurs 5 years into a job. It helps to like your job.

  • Hot water. I could handle an outhouse if I really had to, but no hot water? Sartre had it wrong - hell isn't other people. It's a cold shower.

  • Air travel. My husband was born in Scotland and lived there for most of his childhood. My parents grew up in Illinois, lived in Texas for 25 years and now live in North Carolina. My brother and sister-in-law live in Dallas and my In-Laws and Siblings-in-law live in Houston and Austin. I live in Phoenix. Without air travel, I would be spending days weeks in a small train compartment or in a cramped, muggy car. Instead, I spend 4 fours on a plane, drinking a free Diet Coke and watching a movie. Without the widespread use of air travel, I may never have met my husband, been born a pure blooded Texan (y'all) or been able to participate in everything from weddings to football games to birthday parties. (Not to mention that I wouldn't have a job!) My hero for air travel says it best here.

  • God-incidences. Other people call this coincidences or good luck. But I know that there is a whole lot more to life than just a luck of the draw. A God-incidence is when I introduce my new roommate and my boyfriend's roommate, and they wind up married. A God-incidence is having the baby throw up on you, so you have to change your clothes three times, and when you get in the car, you pass a fresh wreck that you might have been in if you hadn't had to change your clothes. God-incidences are everywhere if you only look for them.

  • Coffee. In case you didn't know, coffee is a girl's best friend. What would we be without coffee? A bunch of grumps with bedhead.

  • My home. A home is a house with love. And we have that. I also have a roof over my head. Yes, this roof has depreciated in value more than I ever care to think about (just read the papers for more on the Phoenix economy), but I still have a home. My little piece of America. That's enough for now.

  • Washing machines. When my brother was born, my parents did not have a washer and dryer. And they still used cloth diapers (going green before it was cool!). The thought of all the baby poop my mom had to touch. . . . well, I'm grateful to both her and the washer. You know what? Let's include this for all modern household appliances. The oven, the microwave, the toaster oven. My dishwasher may not be necessary but it's a hell of a lot nicer than the alternative.

  • Naps. Naptime is really the only time I get anything done around here. And by "done", I mean finish blogging, blog-reading and facebooking. Yes, facebooking is now a verb. You don't believe me? Google it.

  • My dog. What is the bane of my existence doing on a thankful list? When I thought we were gonna lose her a few years ago, I just about lost it. She is my Marley. She drives me crazy eating leather scraps from my craft box (last week), baby food off the table (last night) and banana peels off the counter (this morning), but at least I know what to expect from her. Unconditional love and a whole lot of weird-looking poop.

  • Sonic ice. It makes me happy, and it makes me happy to think that such a small thing can make me happy. And isn't it always nice to appreciate the small things in life? So, I am thankful for Sonic ice. For its ability to be so small, yet last all day long. Thanks, Sonic.

I am unthankful for:

  • My cell phone. Although I appreciate this little piece of equipment as a justincase of accident, I am supremely unthankful for the ability to reach me at all times. And I know what you are thinking, but I can't just leave my phone at home because that tinny, whiny voice in the back of my head pipes up with 'what if I get in that accident/run out of gas/lock my keys in my car again'. So I just screen like crazy and only answer if it is really what I want. (And, as a disclaimer, I am not unthankful for all cell phones. Just mine. I really like my husband's cell phone. It helps me get things picked up at the store on his way from home work so I don't have to go!)

  • Crazy drivers. Don't they know that I have a very new human being in my backseat and that it is my job to protect him? And how can I do that when you are running red lights and weaving in and out of traffic? I'm a speeder, too, and I understand rushing around town to get everything done. But there is a point where your speed gets reckless. So, watch out for me. I have a Beautiful Bouncing Baby on Board.

  • Credit cards. Although I love my credit cards for what they can give me (3 years no payment no interest) I also am incredibly unthankful for that kind of pressure. How am I supposed to have the strength to say no to something when I can pay it off in 5 years with no interest? Anyone can pay $20 a month!! Sigh. I will learn self-control someday. . . .

**EDIT**

Another thing I'm not thankful for? Black Friday. I don't understand the thrill of it all. I don't understand why we spend ONE day at home with our families relaxing and enjoying each other and spend the next day in the madness of crowds and chaos. Most everyone has the Friday after Thanksgiving off work, so here's an idea - play football outside with the kids. Go on a walk as a family. Play scrabble. Talk. There are a million better things to be doing than racing from store to store just to save a few bucks. It's not worth it.


This holiday season, I want to know - what are you thankful/unthankful for?

1 comment:

Pearl said...

mmmmmmm, sonic ice.

yeah, and BOOOO to black friday. i dont participate. the name is totally tacky anyway.